Orange County Comptroller Phil Diamond, CPA, serves Orange County citizens as their independent watchdog. Over its existence, the Comptroller’s office has saved tens of millions of dollars for county taxpayers through its oversight of county spending, careful monitoring of the county’s investments, and audits of county operations. By background, Comptroller Diamond is a CPA and tax attorney. He has over 30 years of professional business experience. He has long been a community leader and is a former Orlando City Commissioner. He was sworn into office on January 3, 2017.
Comptroller Diamond graduated from the University of Florida with a degree in accounting and is a Florida Certified Public Accountant. He also graduated with honors from the University of Florida College of Law. He paid for his law school education by starting and operating his own CPA business while he was in law school.
Phil lives in Orlando with his wife, Linda. They have lived in Orange County for over thirty years and have a son and a daughter. The kids have grown up attending Orange County Public Schools (Boone High School and Blankner K-8). The family also includes two Great Pyrenees dogs (brothers) that they rescued along with an adopted cat. They are long time members of First United Methodist Church of Orlando, where Phil serves on the board of trustees. You can read more about Phil below on this page.
Community and Professional Service:
- Florida Association of Court Clerks and Comptrollers-Chairman of Comptroller Committee
- IDignity Board of Directors
- Past President, Central Florida Chapter of Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Leadership Orlando Graduate
- Past President, Orlando Rotary Breakfast Club
- Former Director, Volunteer Center of Central Florida Board
- Past Vice President and Incorporator, Blankner Elementary School Foundation
- Past Chair, City of Orlando Community and Youth Services Board
- Former Member, City of Orlando, Ben White Raceway Advisory Committee
- Past Chairman, City of Orlando, Ben White Master Plan Equestrian Facilities Selection Committee
- Past Treasurer Cub Scout Pack 168
- Former Big Brother-Big Brothers/Big Sisters
- Past President and Founder, Delaney Park Neighborhood Association
- Past President, Central Florida Employee Benefits Council
- American Bar Association
– Former CLE Chairman, Tax Section Court Practice and Procedure Committee
– Former Current Events Chairman, Tax Section Court Practice and Procedure Committee
- Orange County Bar Association
-Past Chair, Business Law Committee
-Past Chair, Estate, Trust and Guardianship Committee
- Orlando City Commissioner (2002-2012)
- Mayor Pro Tem, City of Orlando (2005-2007,2011-2012)
Educational Service and Programs:
- Adjunct Professor – University of Central Florida, Masters of Accounting Program (Estate and Gift Tax) (1998)
- Presenter, “From Toil to Treasure, Preparing your Company for Investment or Sale (Oct. 2016)
- Presenter, “ERISA and IRS Tax Litigation and Controversy Update,” Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Central Florida Chapter, Annual Legal Updates Program (July 2015)
- Co-Presenter, “Don’t Let The COBRA Strike: ERISA and COBRA Issues to Be Aware of in M&A Transactions,” Carlton Fields Business Transactions Group (July 21, 2015
- Speaker, “Employee Benefit Issues in Connection with Mergers and Acquisitions,” Central Florida Pension Study Group (December 2014)
- Panelist, “Fixing the Broken Retirement Plan through the IRS Correction Program,” ABC of Central Florida – IRS and DOL Corrective Procedures, Orlando, FL (August 15, 2013)
- Panelist, “After DOMA: Now What?” The Center Orlando and Metropolitan Business Association of Orlando, Orlando, FL (July 17, 2013)
- University of Central Florida Accounting Conferences
- Numerous Orange County Bar Association, National Business Institute and Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants Seminars
- “Is it Time to Review, Retest, or Amend Your Employee Benefit Plans? IRS Provides Same Sex Marriage Guidance for Retirement Plan Sponsors and Administrators,” Carlton Fields Web Article (April 2014).
- “Labor Department Intends to Require Added Information on 401(k) Statements,” Carlton Fields Client Alert (May 28, 2013)
- “IRS Temporarily Liberalizes Requirements for Employment Tax Partial Amnesty Program,” Carlton Fields Alert (April 2, 2013).
- Client Alert: “Department of Labor Rule Brings Challenges and Opportunities to 401(k) Plan Sponsors and Participants on August 30th” (August 21, 2012).
- Client Alert: Corporate Securities Taxation and Asset Based Financing Newsletter (April 6, 2005).
- “Proving Your Case in Tax Court,” Orange County Bar Briefs (March 1, 2000).
- “Important Developments – Court Procedure and Practice,” The Tax Lawyer (June 1, 1999).
- “The Rules of the Game: Practical Tips for Dealing with the IRS,” Florida CPA Today (February 1, 1999).
- “Congress Levels the Playing Field with New Reform Act,” Orlando Business Journal (September 18, 1998).
- “Florida LLC’s – The Right Choice for New Business Entities?” Florida CPA Today (August 1, 1993).
Pro Bono Legal Services Provided to the Community:
- Non-Profit Corporations – Formed several non-profit corporations including Families Against Drugs and the Blankner Elementary School Foundation, Inc.
- Pro Bono Aids Will Project – Drafted estate planning documents for individuals in the community infected with Aids.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – Prepared tax returns for individuals residing at the Lisa Merlin House and at the Coalition for the Homeless.
- Guardian Ad Litem – The program’s mission is to advocate for abused, abandoned, and neglected children. The guardian ad litem protects the rights and best interests of the child.
- Mediation – Provided mediation services to resolve civil law disputes through Citizens Mediation Services Program.
Recognition and Awards:
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Trend Magazine Florida Legal Elite (2005)
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants 1998 Public Service Award
- Orlando Business Journal 40 Under 40 Selection
- Phi Kappa Tau Most Outstanding Alumni Award